Hello, retirees

Now that you’ve graduated into your next life stage, you’ll want to know about post-retirement adjustments, taxes, and how to stay in touch with TRA while you pursue those retirement dreams. 

Are you a new retiree?

First Retirement Check

Retirement application forms and supporting documents are accepted by our office up to 180 days in advance of your termination of teaching service date. If you and your employer provide us with the required retirement forms and supporting information on a timely basis, you should receive your first retirement check within 30 to 60 days of your effective date of retirement.

The retired Educator

Due to the large number of educators who retire at the end of the school year, the processing of summer retirement applications may take longer. If your effective date of retirement is in June or July, you can expect to receive your first retirement check during the first week of July, August or September depending upon the timely receipt of your required documents.

The first check includes retirement benefits retroactive to your effective date of retirement. For example, if your effective date of retirement is June 16 and your first check is issued during the first week of September, it will include payment for three and a half months of benefits. Subsequent monthly checks are issued during the first week of each month.

Direct Deposit

Retirement annuity payments can be electronically deposited in any financial institution. Electronic direct deposit is convenient and provides protection against theft and the uncertainties of postal delivery. It also ensures safe, accurate and timely direct deposit of payments to your account on the first banking day of the month. Direct deposit may be made to an individual account or a joint account.

You can make your direct deposit designation any time by logging in to your myTRA account or by requesting the form from TRA via email, chat, or phone.

Address Change

Since your pension check cannot be forwarded by the U.S. Postal Service, it is important to notify us of permanent or temporary address changes. Let us know at least 30 days before the date that a temporary address is to begin and 30 days before the date on which you plan to return to your permanent address.

Even if you have direct deposit, we need your current address to send the TRIB newsletter, 1099-R annuity income tax statements and other information. You can change your address online by logging in to myTRA, by mail or fax, or by calling TRA.

How to Stay Informed

Follow TRA’s Twitter and Facebook accounts and check this website for further announcements. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping our community safe.

Register for a myTRA account!

Access your personal information, run benefit estimates, make appointments, and more.

If you are an employer contact and do not yet have an employer login, call TRA employer assistance 1-800-657-3853.

Already registered? Click the sign-in button below.

Sign in to myTRA
Register a new account