TRA is still fully operational. We’ve made minor changes to safeguard public health. Learn more about health and safety plans



What you need to know now

Here you are in your mid-30s to early 50s, on top of your game. With family responsibilities and teaching demands, retirement might not be a priority. But it’s wise to take stock of your finances, read up on TRA benefits and take care of your beneficiary arrangements.

What is a TRA pension?

The Mid-Career Professional

TRA is a defined-benefit pension plan, which differs from a 403(b) or 401(k) because you receive a predictable retirement benefit for your lifetime, not an account balance that you might outlive. With TRA:

Membership is automatic. From your first day of employment with a TRA-covered employer, you are a member of TRA.

Savings are automatic. During your teaching years, a percentage is deducted from every paycheck for your retirement.

It’s easy. Contributions from you and your employer are pooled with all state public pension fund assets. The State Board of Investment manages these assets and the risk so you don’t have to.

Contributions are pretax. This reduces your taxable income.

Job change? No worries. If you stay employed in city, county or state government in Minnesota, you can keep your money at TRA and continue to accrue public-sector service credit toward your eventual pension.

Contribution Rates

Your TRA contributions are tax-sheltered until you retire or take a refund. Your TRA paycheck deductions are determined by Minnesota law and are subject to change. As of July 1, 2018, your contribution rate is 7.50 percent of your salary. Your employer is contributing 7.71 percent to your pension plan.

Service Credit

Service credit affects eligibility for benefits and benefit amount. Paid sick leave, vacation days and all required attendance days and hours (such as workshops) count toward service credit.

TRA allows no more than one year of service during any fiscal year. Service credit for part-time teachers, extracurricular pay, retro pay, and summer pay is prorated.



There are several types, including sabbatical, medical, parental, family, extended, legislative, military. You may purchase service credit for an authorized leave. Read more about leaves of absence.


If you plan to job share or work part-time, you might be eligible to purchase full-time service credit toward your pension for your part-time teaching service. Read more about TRA’s part-time teaching program.


Available to those with at least three years of service who become disabled. Read more about disability benefits.


Certain benefits are available to your survivor(s) if you die before retiring with the TRA pension plan. Read more about pre-retirement survivor benefits.


If you leave teaching, you are entitled to a refund of your employee contributions. Vested members might consider a deferred annuity because of the potential greater value of a lifetime annuity. More about refunds.

How to designate a beneficiary

Call us at 800-657-3669 or 651-296-2409 to request assistance with your beneficiary designation
or to request a beneficiary form.

If you are married, request and complete a Pre-Retirement Death Benefits for Married Members form.

You and your spouse may jointly waive your spouse’s benefits so that any person, trust or organization
will receive a lump-sum death benefit equal to your accumulated deductions plus interest to the date of death.

If you are single, request and complete a Pre-Retirement Death Benefits for Single Members form.

To-do list for the mid-career professional

  • Revisit your budget. Are you still living within your means?
  • Keep paying down debt and know the interest rates for each of your loans. Focus on paying down high-interest loans first. Paying more than the minimum on a lower-interest student loan before paying off a high-interest credit card might not be best for you.
  • Sign up for a 403(b) tax-sheltered annuity. Contribute the amount required to get the employer match. If you can afford it, also begin contributing to a Roth IRA.
  • Create a MyTRA account. Update your profile so you don’t miss important updates. Review your annual statement to monitor total service credit, contributions and employer deductions.
  • Keep your beneficiary designations up to date. When you name a beneficiary on an account, you’re designating who should receive the assets in the event of your death.
  • Open an online Social Security account. Review estimates of your future retirement, disability, and survivor benefits.
  • Find a financial planner. Talk with that person about whether you have the right mix of savings—TRA pension, 403(b), IRA, Social Security, etc.—for retirement.

Register for a MyTRA account!

Access your personal information, run benefit estimates, make appointments, and more.

If you are an employer contact and do not yet have an employer login, call TRA employer assistance 1-800-657-3853.

Already registered? Click the sign-in button below.

Sign in to MyTRA
Register a new account