TRA is still fully operational. We’ve made minor changes to safeguard public health. Learn more about health and safety plans



Taking care of business

A power of attorney is your written authorization appointing someone to handle your property or financial matters if you become incapacitated or otherwise unable to manage your own finances. You can download the Minnesota statutory short form here.

TRA will only accept a valid Minnesota statutory short form power of attorney under Minnesota Statutes, section 523.23. The form must be either the original or a certified copy of the original.

Properly executed powers of attorney from other states or foreign countries submitted to TRA prior to Jan. 1, 2020, remain in effect.


If you ever reach a point where you feel you are no longer comfortable handling your own financial transactions, it may become necessary to execute a power of attorney.

The person appointed as “attorney-in-fact” does not need to be a practicing attorney, but should be someone you trust to act in your best interest.

Since there are different types of power of attorney authority, you may want to seek legal advice to ensure the authority you grant is appropriate for your situation.

You determine how much power the person will have over your affairs. Your power of attorney can allow any or all of the following:

  • Allow access to your account information.
  • Sign documents for you.
  • Make changes to direct deposit, tax withholding, or your address.


q. Where do I get the power of attorney form?

Download the form here.

q. what does tra need?

These steps will help us assure your account is safe:

  • Complete a TRA power of attorney cover letter.
  • Submit the original power of attorney document or an original notarized copy of the power of attorney document. Notarization indicates that the document has been verified. We will return this document to you after a copy is placed in your file.


q. HOW DO I RevokE A power of attorney?

So long as you are still mentally competent, you may revoke a power of attorney at any time. A written notice of revocation is required and should be submitted to TRA so we can update our records. The form is available on the state Attorney General’s website.

If you have questions or need additional information, call TRA.