Tax withholding

TRA will withhold Minnesota state and federal taxes from your retirement benefit. We do not withhold any other state’s tax. Log in to your MyTRA account to get your 1099.

Withholding Form

You can complete your tax withholding request by logging into your myTRA online account or download the tax withholding form and mail it to TRA.

There are changes coming to the IRS and Minnesota Department of Revenue tax withholding requirements. Later this year, we will be discontinuing the use of the TRA Federal and State Tax Withholding Certificate and will be requiring recipients use IRS Form W-4P, IRS Form W-4R and Form W-4MNP when making future tax withholding elections. Prior tax withholding elections on file with TRA will remain in effect until a new election is made.

We are currently updating our system to accommodate the required tax withholding changes, and will provide additional information when the effective date is known.

Tax Tables

You can calculate your tax withholding by logging into your myTRA online account or download these tables for your own calculations:

Watch an explanation of Pension Taxes